Over the holiday break is usually when I take the time to review and evaluate what is working or not working in our homeschool. Maybe changing a curriculum, adding something, or dropping something. One thing we are still loving, and is so simple to fit into our busy schedule, is our Character Trait Book Basket.
If you are new around here you can read about how we complete our Character Trait Book Basket HERE. Every few weeks we read through a basket of books focusing on one character trait. We usually add one or two books each morning to our morning basket or might grab a few and read together after rest time in the afternoons. When we finish reading them all, the kids choose their favorite and write a journal entry about it.
This year we are still continuing to read lots of great books and have recently learned about responsibility, patience, and loyalty.
Here are the book lists for RESPONSIBILITY, PATIENCE, and LOYALTY, as well as our favorite picks.
- Llama Llama Mess Mess Mess by Anna Dewdney
- Pigsty by Mark Teague
- The Berenstein Bears The Blame Game by Jan & Stan Berenstein
- The Berenstein Bears The Messy Room by Jan & Stan Berenstein
- Franklin Forgets by Paulette Bourgeois
- Franklin Wants a Pet by Paulette Bourgeois
- Have You Fed the Cat? by Michele Coxon
- Strega Nona by Tomie dePaola
- Jason Takes Responsibility by Virginia Kroll
- Sonya’s Chickens Phoebe Wahl
- Pearl by Molly Idle
- I Just Forgot by Mercer Mayer
Our favorite books about responsibility were Pigsty, Franklin Forgets, and The Berenstein Bears The Blame Game. My daughter chose to write about Franklin Forgets for her journal entry. I love all of the Franklin books, and this is a great story about being responsible for your chores and your actions.
- I’ll Wait, Mr. Panda by Steve Antony
- The Odd Egg by Emily Gravett
- Lilly’s Purple Plastic Purse by Kevin Henkes
- Sam & Dave Dig a Hole by Mac Barnett
- The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein
- The Ugly Duckling by Hans Christian Andersen
- Patience, Miyuki by Roxane Marie Galliez
- Remy the Rhino Learns Patience by Andy McGuire
- Lost in the Library: A Story of Patience & Fortitude by Josh Funk
Patience is hard and something my kids need to work on. We read some great books about patience, but our favorites were I’ll Wait, Mr. Panda, Lilly’s Purple Plastic Purse, and Sam & Dave Dig a Hole. My daughter LOVED I’ll Wait, Mr. Panda and read it many times, as well as did her journal entry about it.
- Farfallina & Marcel by Holly Keller
- Chester’s Way by Kevin Henkes
- Ruth: The Belle of Loyalty by Erin Weidmann
- The Snail & the Whale by Julia Donaldson
- Hunter’s Best Friend at School by L. M. Elliot
- Fancy Nancy Tea for Two by Jane O’Connor
- Otis by Loren Long
- Mulan is Loyal
- Bat’s Big Game by Margaret Read MacDonald
- The Loyal Cat by Lensey Namioka
Loyalty is a little harder for young kids to grasp, but many of these books were great to help talk about what it means to be loyal. Our favorites were Otis, Bat’s Big Game, Ruth: The Belle of Loyalty, and Farfallina & Marcel.
If you have missed my previous book lists you can find them at the links below:
I hope these book lists are helpful to you and your kids in learning, talking about, and implementing different character traits. Be sure to utilize your library for many of these books. However, if you can’t find them, always be sure to check Youtube, as many picture books have read aloud options available.
Come back soon for our next books lists as we learn about honesty and courage!
(This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases, no extra cost to you. I only link items I love or have used!)