“Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them, humanity cannot survive.”Dalai Lama
The past 2 weeks we completed our next basket full of character trait books all about COMPASSION! (If you missed out on what our Character Trait Book Basket is check out my previous post HERE.)
We read some great books and had some great conversations about Compassion. My kids are now constantly pointing out acts of compassion among themselves and others. I love that they are seeing the goodness in the world and are growing to practice it themselves!
Here is a list of the books we read about COMPASSION:
- A Sick Day for Amos McGee by Philip C. Stead
- Be Kind by Pat Zietlow Miller
- Ordinary Mary’s Extraordinary Deed by Emily Pearson
- Under the Lemon Moon by Edith Hope Fine
- Have You Filled a Bucket Today? By Carol McCloud
- How to Heal a Broken Wing by Bob Graham
- Zen Ties by Jon J Muth
- Bear Feels Sick by Karma Wilson
- I Walk With Vanessa by Kerascoet
- Hurry Feelings by Helen Lester
- A Color of His Own by Leo Lionni
- My Brother Charlie by Holly Robinson Peete & Ryan Elizabeth Peete
- The Great Kapok Tree by Lynne Cherry
Our favorite 3 books about this topic were: Bear Feels Sick by Karma Wilson, Be Kind by Pat Zietlow Miller, and Under the Lemon Moon by Edith Hope Fine. These are all great books I recommend to have on your book shelves!
I also want to mention the book Have You Filled A Bucket Today by Carol McCloud is a GREAT book talking about giving, sharing, and caring for others. It explains it so well toward a child’s perspective. It was my sons favorite book so he chose it to draw a picture of it in his journal.
My daughters favorite book was I Walk With Vanessa by Kerascoet. It has no words, just pictures, but she looked at it at least 6 different times and discovered something new each time! It is a story of how one girl inspires her school and community to stand up for another lonely girl battling a bully. How a simple act of kindness can go a long way and make all the difference.
I hope you enjoy these books with your kids all about compassion and kindness. Next up we will be filling our basket with books all about RESPECT and I’ll be sharing our list of favorites soon!
5 Replies to “Character Trait Book Basket: Compassion”
Great read… Thank u for this info..😇