Today I’m sharing a TON of beginning reader chapter books, most of which are series with multiple books to read.
My daughter, who is 6.5 years old, is a very advanced reader and recently picked out a chapter book at our local library. She was so excited to read it, saying she felt like a big kid. She quickly read it and was eager for more. So I began the search, found lots of great ones, and wanted to share.
Most of these are geared for girls, but some are great for everyone, and I did include some beginning chapter books for boys at the end of this post. I also love to look at the inside of a book to get a feel of the difficulty level and if it will overwhelm her or not. That is hard to do online, or even unavailable sometimes, so I also have an inside look at every book below so you can see too.
Click the title of each book if you wish to read a synopsis of what it’s about or read reviews. Most of these books have multiple titles in their series, so be sure to check them all out!
1) The Princess in Black by Shannon Hale & Dean Hale
2) The Adventures of Sophie Mouse: A New Friend (Book 1) by Poppy Green
3) Mercy Watson To the Rescue by Kate DiCamillo
4) Days With Frog & Toad by Arnold Lobel
5) Katie Woo Celebrates by Fran Manushkin
6) Penny & Her Marble by Kevin Henkes
7) The Critter Club: Amy & the Missing Puppy (Book #1) by Callie Barkley
8) Wellie Wishers: Ashlyn’s Unsurprise Party by Valerie Tripp -American Girl
9) Zoey and Sassafras: Dragons and Marshmallows (Book #1) by Asia Citro
10) Sue In All Seasons by Jennifer D. Lerud (The Good and the Beautiful Library)
—There are a ton of great books in The Good and Beautiful Library. For this age/level check out books in Level 1B and 2.
11) The Secret of the Hidden Scrolls: Book 1 The Beginning by M.J. Thomas
12) Magic Animal Rescue: Maggie and the Unicorn by E.D. Baker
13) Mermaids to the Rescue: Cali Plays Fair by Lisa Ann Scott
14) Anna & Elsa Sisterhood is the Strongest Magic Books by Erica David
15) Disney Before the Story Books by Tessa Roehl
16) Rainbow Magic Fairies: Mae the Panda Fairy by Daisy Meadows
17) The Magic Treehouse: Dinosaurs Before Dark (Book #1) by Mary Pope Osborne
18) Little Bear by Elsa Minarik
Some of the above are great for both boys and girls, but here are just a few that are great beginning chapter books geared for boys:
19) The Dragonsitter by Josh Lacey
21) Pedro: First Grade Hero by Fran Manushkin (This is a spin off series from the same writer as the Katie Woo stories.)
22) Nate the Great by Marjorie Weinman Sharmat
There are so many great books out there! I hope you’re able to find some great books for your kids! If you know of any other great books or series, please mention them in the comments below!
Be sure to come back soon as I’m gathering lots of beginning chapter books for the holidays also!