Welcome back for Part 2 of our Me on the Map unit!
If you missed Part 1 all about our studies of our home and street you can check it out HERE.
The next portion we studied was our city! We live in the country, part of a smaller rural city in Northern California.
Activities we did:
- Learned the difference between city vs country.
- Learned about rural, suburban, and urban communities with this cut and paste activity (FREE printable found HERE.) Fold a piece of construction paper in half and cut 2 slits to the center on ONE side. Use the printable to cut and paste the correct descriptions inside the flap of each community.
- Field trip to Main Street, historical museum, and monuments in our small city. We also drove around and checked out the post office, fire station, and local library.
- Looked at a road map of our city and found our street.
Here are some great picture books we read.
Next we learned a little bit about our state of California! Here are the activities we did:
- Mini coloring book full of facts (found HERE.)
- Painted/made the state flag
- Coloring pages of the state, capital, and state seal all found on Google images.
- Made the state flower (the Golden Poppy) our of tissue paper and pipe cleaners.
- Made a rewood tree out of brown construction paper and torn pieces of green paper.
- Made the state out of playdough and talked about mountains, valley and coast.
- Learned about important landmark- the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco.
I was so excited to use this California Atlas book that is so special to me because it was written and created by 2 of my Uncles! It was finished and released when I was a little girl and I am so excited that we get to use it in our homeschool with my kids now! ❤️ ￼
Here are some more great picture books about California.
Since we learned about the Golden Gate Bridge of course we had to take a field trip to see it! The kids were in awe! 😍 It is truly amazing in person!
We also visited the San Francisco Zoo and learned more about our state animal- the grizzly bear, as well as many other animals!
We have had so much fun with this unit! Next we will learn about our country, continent, and planet. I will blog those when we finish them. 👍🏼
I hope you have enjoyed following along and are inspired to do your own Me On the Map unit!